Hints about using the prototype kms/kdb/kgdb integration?

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Sat Oct 03 2009 - 12:14:31 EST

Hey Jason, Jesse,

I was very much interested in using the kgdb/kdb integration that you
had demo'ed at the Plumber's Conference. I know that this stuff is
still under development, so the documentation is rather scant.

According to http://kgdb.wiki.kernel.org, the demo at Plumber's
Conference used "kdb_prototype8 from the kgdb git repository".
Unfortunately, I couldn't find kdb_prototype8; I did find
kdb_prototype7, and a newer branch labelled "for_jesse". The two
branches seemed largely identical in terms of the intent of the patches,
and for_jesse seemed more recent, so I used the latter.

It looked like the magic to get things working was:

echo kms,kbd > /sys/module/kgdboc/parameters/kgdboc

However, I wasn't able to make kms work. In fact, looking at the
sources, it's not clear that it would work at all, since
kgdboc_pre_exp_handler() requires that dbg_kms_console_core be set, and
the only thing which sets it is dbg_kms_console_ops_register() --- and I
couldn't find anything that actually calls
dbg_kms_console_ops_register().

Am I missing something? Is there a branch that I should be using
instead of kdb_prototype7 or for_jesse?

Thanks!!

- Ted