Temperature above threshold loop with 2.6.31.1

From: Trevor Hemsley
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 09:52:29 EST

Hi

I just downloaded and installed the latest 2.6.31.1 kernel on my
machine here and I think I found a small bug. Shortly after boot I
start to receive messages like

CPU0: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events =
21672)

This is on an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard with an Intel Xeon X3220
2.4GHz quad core chip installed (the Xeon equivalent of a Q6600). The
BIOS reports the cpu temperature as being consistently 51C which may be
a bit on the high side but not dangerously so.

And, yes, I'm aware that this might be a valid temperature warning and
I aim to dismantle the machaine and check everything out over the
weekend but...

More importantly, I get approximately 100,000 of these messages per
minute and the machine is completely unusable. All of these are for
CPU0 - at least all the ones that get written to /var/log/messages.

1,666 notifications a second seems a little on the 'too frequent' side
of things to me :-)

Please cc me on any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list. Thanks.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com