LZMA on PIII-Celeron is broken [was: 2.6.31: booting on a PIII Celeron?]

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 06:44:12 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

So the celeron machine lacks "apic" flag. And in my
kernel config, apic is enabled:
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
(but not on the command line like apic=force)
try 'noapic nolapic' to see if it helps?
Neither (nor both) changes anything. It just reboots
instantly right after "Loading initrd..." message from
the bootloader.

Ok, you may want to try bisection...

Ok, one more thing to mention. 2.6.31 introduced a
somewhat annoying feature, -- the screen (console)
blinks at the very start of the boot process (I mean
text mode, no any framebuffers or the like). Here,
the screen blinks as usual for .31, I can see everything
back including that "Loading initrd" line, and only
after this the system reboots. No more messages
gets printed, including "kernel command line:",
"Initializing cgroup subsys" or "Linux version ...".
I switched CPU clock to 200MHz (minimum clock rate
this motherboard supports using jumpers) and I can
see the whole thing like in slow motion.

Hmm, can you try enabling earlyprintk?

The issue was simpler than we thought. It's the
lzma code that causes this. In this .config I
changed from BZIP2 compression to LZMA compression.
When changing it back to BZIP2 the system boots
again.

Now I've no idea how to debug it further, since
there should be no difference between "plain"
PIII and PIII-Celeron.

Thanks!

/mjt