Re: Exposing device ids and driver names

From: Nathaniel McCallum
Date: Thu Oct 01 2009 - 14:07:51 EST

On 10/01/2009 01:47 PM, Stefan Richter wrote:
Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
Please CC me on any responses as I'm not subscribed to lkml.

I have the aim at creating two tools helpful to linux. The first tool
is a driver regression test of sorts. I want to be able to create
essentially a time line of hardware support as they appear in distros.
The second tool, related to the first, is a program which runs on
Windows and scans for a user's hardware and tells them which distro will
best support their hardware. I already have a working prototype of
these two tools. It currently uses the data exported by modinfo. This
however does not provide transparency for drivers compiled into the kernel.

Hardware support also depends on userland: Udev rules, libraries,
application programs.

Even if you ignore that for now and only look at the kernel part of
hardware support: Beyond "doesn't have a matching driver" and "does
have", there is a large and impossible to track grey area of "has a
poorly working driver" and "has a perfectly working driver".

Yes, I'm aware of this and will account for it as best as I am able. There is still tremendous value in identifying (with real data):
1. differences between distros and upstream
2. the flow of driver support between distros and upstream
3. statistically common devices that have no driver

Further, for the most common device classes (video cards, networking, wireless, etc) it is fairly easy to get a good reading. For instance, the difference between "no graphics at all" and "some graphics" is infinitely larger than "some graphics" and "great 3D acceleration." I'm not aware of any video cards which have drivers that claim to support them that can't at least modeset.

To summarize, you are correct that we cannot predict 100% of user experience. But 70% is a huge improvement over 0%.

Nathaniel