Re: x86: mce: Please revert22223c9b417be5fd0ab2cf9ad17eb7bd1e19f7b9

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Thu Oct 01 2009 - 11:21:37 EST

On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 05:00:46PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > Of course, if it _requires_ being loaded early for some other reason, then
> >
> > the only reason I can think of is if you want to be able to decode
> > MCEs happening as early as possible before the modules have been
> > init-ted.
> >
> > Question really is, what is more important to us? But we definitely
> > can do the module stuff too and get rid of ~5K core kernel fat by
> > relocating the whole functionality completely into the module. Hmm...
>
> I'd focus on the built-in-side initially, which is the most
> practical/debuggable/serviceable solution. It's of course not a problem
> (at all) if it is _also_ module loadable but that's not the primary
> goal.

How about a CONFIG_EDAC_DECODE_MCE which depends on CONFIG_CPU_SUP_AMD and
defaults to yes with a config text saying something in the likes of

"... Select Y here if you want to decode MCEs happening early before the
modules framework has been initialized...."

?

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Operating | Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
System | Karl-Hammerschmidt-Str. 34, 85609 Dornach b. München, Germany
Research | Geschäftsführer: Andrew Bowd, Thomas M. McCoy, Giuliano Meroni
Center | Sitz: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis München
(OSRC) | Registergericht München, HRB Nr. 43632