Re: x86: mce: Please revert22223c9b417be5fd0ab2cf9ad17eb7bd1e19f7b9

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Oct 01 2009 - 10:36:12 EST

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Borislav Petkov wrote:

> Ok, here it is, tested on two Fam10 machines here with injecting MCEs.
> The decoding code is now built-in by default (early_initcall requires
> !MODULE).

I don't think it has to require !MODULE. We could do what we do for the
other initcalls, ie if MODULE we turn it into just a regular initcall. If
that allows something like the EDAC MCE to be built as a module, and
people want to, then just go ahead and add the one-liner to <linux/init.h>

Of course, if it _requires_ being loaded early for some other reason, then
that's a different issue. But don't do it just because we don't have the

#define early_initcall(fn) module_init(fn)

line.

Linus