Re: How can I download a git commit as a diff patch?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 17:07:52 EST

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:40:16PM +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> You can specify parent explicitely: "git diff <rev>^1 <rev>" for diff
> to first parent, e.g. "git diff HEAD^ HEAD".
>
> Just so you know that this single diff is not enough to redo a merge.
> It is only partial information.

Yes certainly in some cases. Often you can pick specific patches and
a few patches they depend on to try and fix something, but for bigger
changes it doesn't work. I am actually surprised it has been this long
before I ever saw one of these combined diff's. I must have been lucky
so far.

> BTW. there is also "git diff-tree -m <rev>") to show diff to *all*
> parents at once:
>
> -m By default, `git-diff-tree --stdin` does not show differences for
> merge commits. With this flag, it shows differences to that commit
> from all of its parents. See also `-c`.

I will have to try that one out.

--
Len Sorensen