What is the near term future for kfifo?

From: Andy Walls
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 21:35:33 EST

LKML,

What's the status of the recently proposed kfifo changes?

This change set of mine, for implementing IR receiver support for the
CX23888 chip:

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 20:12 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> Mauro,
>
> Please pull from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23888-ir-part2
>
> for the following 5 changesets:
>
> 01/05: v4l2-subdev: Add v4l2_subdev_ir_ops and IR notify defines for v4l2_device
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23888-ir-part2?cmd=changeset;node=8cbb951bbb9f
>
> 02/05: cx23885: Complete CX23888 IR subdev implementation for Rx & almost for Tx
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23888-ir-part2?cmd=changeset;node=a2d8d3d88c6d
>
> 03/05: cx23885: Add integrated IR subdevice interrupt and notification handling
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23888-ir-part2?cmd=changeset;node=1eb199665dbc
>
> 04/05: ir-functions: Export ir_rc5_decode() for use by the cx23885 module
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23888-ir-part2?cmd=changeset;node=55a1e2e8128f
>
> 05/05: cx23885: Add IR input keypress handling and enable for the HVR-1850
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx23888-ir-part2?cmd=changeset;node=b05a093688a2

relies on the current implementation

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git;a=blob;f=include/linux/kfifo.h;h=ad6bdf5a5970c5fdbceb6b5c440a196b7a620b22;hb=HEAD

that still requires a spinlock. Fortunately, I happen to need a
spinlock.

I'd like this changeset to move forward, and I don't want to have a
problem with unfortuante timing of any kfifo changes.

Should I plan to

1. leave my code alone and use the current kfifo API,
2. update my use of kfifo to the new proposal I saw on the LKML
recently, or
3. just write my own fifo implementation and port to the new kfifo
later?

Regards,
Andy