Re: [RFC] page-writeback: move indoes from one superblock together

From: Wu Fengguang
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 09:46:46 EST

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 09:29:50PM +0800, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24 2009, Wu Fengguang wrote:

> > > First of all, nice patch, I'll add it to the current tree. I too was
> >
> > You mean Shaohua's patch? It should be a good addition for 2.6.32.
>
> Yes indeed, the parent patch.
>
> > In long term move_expired_inodes() needs some rework. Because it
> > could be time consuming to move around all the inodes in a large
> > system, and thus hold inode_lock() for too long time (and this patch
> > scales up the locked time).
>
> It does. As mentioned in my reply, for 100 inodes or less, it will still
> be faster than eg using an rbtree. But the more "reliable" runtime of an
> rbtree based solution is appealing, though. It's not hugely critical,
> though.

Agreed. Desktops are not big worries; servers rarely do many
partitions per disk.

> > So would need to split the list moves into smaller pieces in future,
> > or to change data structure.
>
> Yes, those are the two options.
>
> > > pondering using an rbtree for sb+dirty_time insertion and extraction.

Note that dirty_time may not be unique, so need some workaround. And
the resulted rbtree implementation may not be more efficient than
several list traversals even for a very large list (as long as
superblocks numbers are low).

The good side is, once sb+dirty_time rbtree is implemented, it should
be trivial to switch the key to sb+inode_number (also may not be unique),
and to do location ordered writeback ;)

Thanks,
Fengguang