Re: disk speed regression kernel 2.6.29 and after

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 23:07:41 EST

On 09/23/2009 06:08 AM, will wrote:
I had been using an old 2.6.22 kernel on my machine, and I often backup
one partition of my main hard drive to a partition on a second hard
drive. The main hard drive is sata 640 gigs, and the second is a pata
320 gig. copying this partition from one drive to the other with dd
takes about 3 minutes and 30 seconds. When I installed kernel 2.6.30,
and 2.6.31, the time took 9 minutes and 20 seconds. I decided to go to
the trouble of compiling all the kernels between, and kernels
2.6.22-2.6.28 all do the operation in about 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
2.6.29- newer all take about 9 minutes and 20 seconds. The partition is
16 gigs. each drive seems to be as fast as before otherwise, it's just
much slower copying from one drive to another, which I do very often.
This is an nforce 3 based motherboard, amd southbridge, i think, with 4
gigs of ram, athlon 64x2. 32 bit kernel. has anyone heard of this problem?
I currently have 3 hard drives hooked up.
a 200 gig on a promise controller,
a 320 gig on the amd pata?
a 640 sata on the nv i think.
The motherboard is a Asrock-AM2NF3-VSTA
copying this partition with dd or cat or schily's dd between any of these 3
different hard drives takes different times depending on the speed of
the drive with
kernels 2.6.22-2.6.28, but takes about 9 minutes and 30 seconds on any
of the drives
with the kernels 2.6.29 and after.
Please cc me with any followups or anything. thanks.

Can you post the dmesg output from bootup on both the good and bad kernels?