Re: fanotify as syscalls

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 13:31:44 EST

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

> Yeah, you could do something like kauth on OSX, which is I guess similar to
> LSM, which was turned off for out of tree. And now you want to push users of
> fanotify out of tree, so what should it be? In tree bad, out of tree bad?

As I said before, the good of a syscall tracing approach, is that it is a
completely generic mechanism (extensible for other kind of hooks too),
with minimal kernel impact, while allowing its module-users to stuff all
the code they want in the part that it's their responsibility.
So that a "we need this too" gets translated to "just do it in your code",
instead of a request to add more stuff into the kernel, and maybe altering
the userspace access interface (which is always painful).

- Davide