Re: perf sched record hangs machine

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 03:40:52 EST

* Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > .size default_send_IPI_self, .-default_send_IPI_self
> >
> > Which seems to suggest that cmove is in __prepare_ICR, but I'm not
> > sure how that can cause a page-fault, as that function is rather
> > pointer-less.
> >
> > Did it maybe delay evaluating apic->dest_logical that late, it appear
> > to be the first usage of that argument?
> >
> > Ingo, any ideas?
>
> Yeah, the problem is:
>
> [ 0.042445] Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
>
> we shouldnt be trying to program the lapic in that case - all ops
> should be a NOP, including send-ipi-self. Cyrill?

Cyrill, the right fix would be to define a:

struct apic apic_none;

with dummy functions injected. Set struct apic *apic to _that_, instead
of apic_default.

This means that if we manage to detect a local APIC, we will set it to
apic_default (or some other driver) - but the bootup default will be 'no
APIC'.

This is a lot cleaner and a lot less error-prone than the direct
frobbing of the function pointers.

Ingo