Re: PATCH: ARCH in builddeb

From: Frans Pop
Date: Tue Sep 22 2009 - 12:53:48 EST

On Tuesday 22 September 2009, Wei Chong Tan wrote:
> > That still given me an arm instead of an armel package.
>
> dpkg-architecture seems to set a bunch of build-time environment
> variable, could it be there one is not set by default for arm vs
> armel?

dpkg-gencontrol, if left alone, seems to understand about cross-compiling
*and* understand the difference between compiling for arm and armel, while
dpkg-architecture seems to ignore that. But I really don't know enough
about either to be able to say what the exact problem is or what the
correct solution is here.

All I can tell you is that when I cross-compile for armel (on a Debian
amd64/Lenny host system) with very simply the following set in the
environment, it all magically works correctly:
export ARCH=arm
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-

I don't think we should lose correct automatic detection for the sake of
fixing your use case.

I would suggest asking for advice on the debian-devel mailing list or,
maybe even better, from the dpkg maintainers.

Cheers,
FJP