Re: ThinkPad T400 and the mute button ...

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 10:39:00 EST

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Toralf Förster wrote:
> It works - but only if the T400 is plugged into the docking station. Then both
> the mute button at the T400 and the button of the external keyboard works fine.
> However w/o the docking station pressing the mute button of the T400
> gives under KDE the graphical response "mute on" - but that's all, the sound
> isn't muted.
>
> Is this behaviour known/expected or worth a bug report ?

1. go single user, text mode. No userspace HAL/udev/KDE/GNOME crap allowed
for these tests ;-)

2. Test mute/unmute in both keyboards, and check *WHICH* audio outputs get
muted. You have at least three: dock line-out, built-in speakers, built-in
headphone-out. Remember that some thinkpads (those without a MUTE LED) use
a single press of volume up or down as unmute.

3. do the same testing using the alsa HDA mixer.

4. Anything that doesn't light-up the MUTE LED is doing it on the HDA mixer.
If you don't have a MUTE led, it gets far more difficult to know what is
happening :-(

5. thinkpad-acpi can tell you if the firmware thinks the internal MUTE gate
is enabled or not: cat /proc/acpi/ibm/volume. It won't be able to *set*
mute state, AFAIK. But it can read it.

> BTW the BIOS is at the latest level (I hoped to avoid the command line
> eboot=pci w/ the new BIOS but no chance, that parameter is necessary to avoid

Get someone to write a proper, specific bug report that could be sent to a
BIOS engineer, pinpointing what is wrong and what should be fixed, and
either I or the SuSE people can forward it to Lenovo.

Henrique Holschuh