Re: BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context at mm/slub.c:1717

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 05:18:00 EST

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Minchan Kim wrote:

> We have to change description of hid_input_report.
>
> * @interrupt: called from atomic?
> I think it lost meaning.

Good point, I will change it, thanks.

> I am worried that interrupt variable is propagated down to sub
> functions. Is it right on sub functions?

Yes. This variable is not used for chosing correct allocation flags
anywhere else, it is just carrying the semantics what the HID core should
do, what callbacks to call, etc. So it's correct.
But you are right that the name and kerneldocs is confusing, and I will
fix that.

> One more thing, I am concerned about increasing GFP_ATOMIC customers
> although we can avoid it. Is it called rarely? Could you find a
> alternative method to overcome this issue?

This is just a temporary buffer for debugging output, it is freed almost
immediately later in the function, and even if the allocation fails,
nothing bad happens (just the debugging output is not delivered to the
debugfs buffer).

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina