Re: efficient access to "rotational"; new fcntl?

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 07:13:39 EST

On 09/19/2009 12:19 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
However, sort *would* benefit, and some UCLA students implemented that
for a term project. Unfortunately, the project is stalled because the
implementation was not efficient enough, and no one has found the
time to improve it since.
parallel sort... call me skeptical. My gut feeling is that you'll get
killed by communication overhead.
(sort seems to be more communication than raw cpu use)

Why? a sort that fits in memory is purely cpu and memory access.

Instead of O(N log N) you'd get K * O(N/K log N/K) followed by an O(N) merge. For large N and small K, you get a speedup of roughly K (since the O(N) merge is dominated by the preceding sort.