Re: efficient access to "rotational"; new fcntl?

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 04:31:56 EST

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 10:01:51 +0200
Jim Meyering <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah, I mentioned I should do exactly that on IRC yesterday.
> I've just run some tests, and see that at least with one SSD (OCZ
> Summit 120GB), the 0.5s cost of sorting pays off handsomely with a
> 12-x speed-up, saving 5.5 minutes, when removing a
> 1-million-empty-file directory.

likely because you actually reduce the amount of IO; inodes share
disk blocks; repeated unlinks in random order likely write the same
block multiple times....

btw have you given thought about using threads as part of rm -r[f] ?
(would make the unlinks of unrelated directories/files asynchronous)

visit http://www.lesswatts.org