Re: [bug] /etc/profile: line 30: /dev/null: Permission denied

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 18:03:24 EST

Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 13:58 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> As a special case you can implement this much
>> more simply in devtmpfs_mount just do:
>
> I sent the patch to Greg already. I like to keep the things in the
> subsystem where the non-default names are set. The issue will come back
> from the embedded guys, who want to do be able to do that for a few more
> nodes and run their stuff completely without userspace /dev. We are also
> sure never to touch anything we did not create.

There are a lot of stupid expedient things that people making embedded
products like to do. Tell them to write a 5 line /sbin/hotplug script.

udev isn't too expensive to run on the embedded platforms, and if they
have enough horse power in the system to run linux udev is almost certainly
a possibility.

> This change works for me here. Do you want to send or sign that off? :)

Nope. I don't want any piece of ownership of devtmpfs. I have sent
the only patch I am comfortable with.

Eric