Re: Problems booting 2.6.31 on Fedora 8

From: Ben Greear
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 16:56:17 EST

On 09/18/2009 11:48 AM, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
I'm having troubles booting 2.6.31 on Fedora 8. The same kernel
boots fine on F11, but on F8, it cannot find the root logical volume.

One thing I notice is that F11 uses root=/dev/mapper... and F8 uses
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 in grub. It's not clear to me what
the value of mapper should be...is there some way to figure this
out from an older kernel (2.6.29) that boots fine?

I've recently faced a very similar problem, trying to boot some "modern"
kernel on debian etch system.

It was solved by putting more recent lvm2 binary into initrd.

The LVM2 mailing list gave me another answer:

Compile with
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED=y
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2=y

This will likely not work on later distributions, but seems to work
fine for Fedora 8, at least.

Thanks,
Ben

--