Re: Is nobh code still useful?

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 10:12:42 EST

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 09:21:37PM -0700, Badari Pulavarty wrote:

> Originally it was supported on ext2. I added support nobh support for
> ext3. At that time, the main
> issue/complaint was that, these bufferheads consume memory from
> ZONE_NORMAL causing
> memory pressure on 32-bit (i386) configurations.

Specifically, it matters on very large configuration systems (i.e.,
32GB-64GB using PAE-36) that today we'd probably just say, "use
x86_64, you moron". It would probably matter if someone were to want
to upgrade a non-64-bit capable machine to a newer kernel.

Dropping nobh from ext3 at this point might prevent some of these
older systems from upgrading, I'm not sure how much we would care; on
the one hand, these machines tended to be pretty expensive, so people
would probably want to use them for a while. On the other hand, it
has been over five years now since x86_64 machines have been
available, and many of these customers are highly unlikely to want to
upgrade anyway.

- Ted