Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Sep 07 2009 - 13:38:53 EST

On Mon, Sep 07 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 07 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > > Scheduler Runtime Max lat Avg lat Std dev
> > > CFS 100 951 462 267
> > > CFS-x2 100 983 484 308
> > > BFS
> > > BFS-x2
> >
> > Those numbers are buggy, btw, it's not nearly as bad. But
> > responsiveness under compile load IS bad though, the test app just
> > didn't quantify it correctly. I'll see if I can get it working
> > properly.
>
> What's the default latency target on your box:
>
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns
>
> ?

It's off right now, but it is set to whatever is the default. I don't
touch it.

> And yes, it would be wonderful to get a test-app from you that would
> express the kind of pain you are seeing during compile jobs.

I was hoping this one would, but it's not showing anything. I even added
support for doing the ping and wakeup over a socket, to see if the pipe
test was doing well because of the sync wakeup we do there. The net
latency is a little worse, but still good. So no luck in making that app
so far.

--
Jens Axboe