Re: [patch 09/33] fs: dcache scale dentry refcount

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Sep 07 2009 - 07:35:57 EST

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 07:21:21AM -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 09:44 +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 02:01:05PM -0400, Eric Paris wrote:
> > > On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:51 AM, <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > And yet in this case we do check for dentry->d_parent == dentry. (my
> > > unknowing self thinks we'd want to check in all places)
> >
> > I think you're right, I think we need checks there too...
> >
> > BTW Is there a way to test the fsnotify code? I thought inotify was
> > supposed to be implemented with fsnotify, but I see quite a lot
> > of duplicated (or very similar) code... We've also still got
> > inotify calls in fs/ (inotify_umount_inodes). and CONFIG_INOTIFY and
> > CONFIG_FSNOTIFY conditionals in there too. Would it be possible to
> > move that out into fsnotify calls? (fsnotify_inode_init_once or
> > whatever).
> >
> > (Sorry to hijack your good review comments :))
>
> Actually inotify.c in linux-next is dead code which I plan to remove
> in .32. In .31 inotify.c is used by the audit subsystem but inotify as
> seen by userspace is implemented on top of fsnotify.

Ah, fine. That explains why I had the check in fsnotify but not inotify.

> I'll try to pull down the whole patch series and test for any problems.

I guess I should make it available as a git tree or at least a
patch rollup. People have spotted a few problems and I've found
a few more in testing more filesystems, so maybe hold off testing
and I'll get something newer out soon. It would be very appreciated
though.

Thanks,
Nick