Re: [testcase] test your fs/storage stack (was Re: [patch] ext2/3: document conditions when reliable operation is possible)

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Sep 04 2009 - 03:45:04 EST

On Thursday 03 September 2009 09:14:43 jim owens wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > I think he understands he was clueless too, that's why he investigated
> > the failure and wrote it up for posterity.
> >
> >> And Ric said do not stigmatize whole classes of A) devices, B) raid,
> >> and C) filesystems with "Pavel says...".
> >
> > I don't care what "Pavel says", so you can leave the ad hominem at the
> > door, thanks.
>
> See, this is exactly the problem we have with all the proposed
> documentation. The reader (you) did not get what the writer (me)
> was trying to say. That does not say either of us was wrong in
> what we thought was meant, simply that we did not communicate.

That's why I've mostly stopped bothering with this thread. I could respond to
Ric Wheeler's latest (what does write barriers have to do with whether or not
a multi-sector stripe is guaranteed to be atomically updated during a panic or
power failure?) but there's just no point.

The LWN article on the topic is out, and incomplete as it is I expect it's the
best documentation anybody will actually _read_.

Rob