Re: [2.6.30.5] Diagnosing an IDE lockup with SMART long tests

From: Raphael Manfredi
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 07:19:43 EST

Quoting Robert Hancock:
> It's most likely a bug in the IDE code somewhere, but realistically the
> most effective course of action would likely be to switch from the old IDE
> drivers and use libata instead. The IDE code doesn't receive that much
> testing these days, and it's really hard to debug (as you've seen, the
> debugging output is rather atrocious).

I gave it a shot anyway. Converting to PATA was surprisingly straighforward.

Anyway, I now get the following when running SMART long tests on /dev/sda:

ata1: lost interrupt (Status 0x50)

And the machine hangs... So I'm back to square one.
How do I prevent lockups on the system when running SMART long tests?

Raphael