Re: [tip:tracing/urgent] tracing: Fix too large stack usage indo_one_initcall()

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 12:07:26 EST

So I obviously agree with fixing do_one_initcall(), but..

Looking at the other cases, I do note (once more) what a horrible thing
SCSI is, and that the callchains are not only way too deep, but the SCSI
routines stand out among the cases that have 100+ bytes of stack frame.

We _really_ should fix these:

> 5) 3444 116 __alloc_pages_nodemask+0xd7/0x550
> 10) 3216 108 create_object+0x28/0x250
> 18) 2896 128 sd_prep_fn+0x332/0xa70
> 23) 2640 172 blk_execute_rq+0x6b/0xb0
> 46) 1532 108 scsi_add_lun+0x44b/0x460
> 47) 1424 116 scsi_probe_and_add_lun+0x182/0x4e0

I also note that in this case, we'd have gotten rid of a _lot_ of the
callchain if we had actually just executed this thing asynchronously.
Because we clearly have that __async_schedule() there in the callchain in
two places: before the port probing and the disk probing.

But it looks like we hit the MAX_WORK limit. Which sounds odd, since that
is set to 32768, but I guess it can happen. It sounds a bit unlikely.
Ingo, do you have something set to disable that?

I do wonder, though. Maybe we should never have that MAX_WORK limit, and
instead limit the parallelism by actively trying to yield when there's too
much work? That bootup sequence _does_ tend to have deep callchains (with
all the crazy device register crud), and maybe we should actively see the
async work code as not just a way to speed up boot, but also as a way to
avoid deep callchains.

Hmm? Comments?

Linus