Re: Is adding requeue_delayed_work() a good idea

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 07:59:29 EST

On 08/20, Roland Dreier wrote:

> My patch goes back to an open-coded version of delayed work that splits
> the timer and the work struct. However it occurs to me that an API like
> requeue_delayed_work() that does a mod_timer() on the delayed work
> struct might be useful -- OTOH making this fully general and keeping
> track of the work's pending bit etc seems perhaps a bit dicy.

Completely agreed.

We need some simple changes in timer.c. __mod_timer() already has
pending_only, but requeue_delayed_work() needs another flag to prevent
migrating to another CPU. Again, this is simple, let's suppose we have
requeue_timer(timer) which works like mod_timer(pending_only => true)
but never changes timer->base.

The main question is: what should requeue_delayed_work(dwork) do when
dwork->timer is not pending but dwork->work is queued or running?
Should it cancel dwork->work is this case?

If yes, then I don't understand how this new helper (which is good
anyway) can help with this particular problem,

> happens because the mad module does
>
> cancel_delayed_work(&mad_agent_priv->timed_work);
>
> while holding mad_agent_priv->lock. cancel_delayed_work() internally
> does del_timer_sync(&mad_agent_priv->timed_work.timer).
>
> This can turn into a deadlock because mad_agent_priv->lock is taken
> inside cm_id_priv->lock, so we can get the following set of contexts
> that deadlock each other:
>
> A: holding cm_id_priv->lock, waiting for mad_agent_priv->lock
> B: holding mad_agent_priv->lock, waiting for del_timer_sync()
> C: interrupt during mad_agent_priv->timed_work.timer that takes
> cm_id_priv->lock

OK, suppose that we s/cancel_delayed_work/requeue_delayed_work/,
then we seem to have the same deadlock