Re: What to do?

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 11:24:08 EST

On Thursday 20 August 2009, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi all.

Hi,

> A few months back, I posted TuxOnIce for something like the third time,
> seeking to see if we could make some progress on getting it merged. The
> outcome of that was an agreement between Rafael and I that we'd work on
> getting TuxOnIce functionality (if not the actual code) merged bit by
> bit, improving swsusp rather than doing an outright merge.
>
> Unfortunately, as the intervening months have shown, Rafael is busy with
> other things and so am I. The few patches I did prepare and post have
> had no review, and I haven't had a chance to build on or rework them
> since. (I'd actually like them not to be merged, because I've realised
> that there are more foundational changes that need to go in first.)
>
> Given that this has been the outcome so far, I see no reason to imagine
> that we're going to make any serious progress any time soon.

That unfortunately is probably right.

The problem for my part is that new things are still appearing that I need to
take care of rather urgently.

In fact the user space part of (u)swsusp also has been suffering from the lack
of attention recently, so to speak.

> I'd therefore like to ask whether there's anyone out there who could do
> one or more of:
>
> 1) Step up to the plate and help improve swsusp, without relying on any
> help from me but with my blessing if they choose to copy wholesale bits
> of TuxOnIce;
> 2) Take over maintaining TuxOnIce from me;
> 3) Some other way forward that hasn't occurred to me.
>
> Thoughts, input, flames, whatever else welcome. A lack of deadly silence
> would be especially appreciated :)

Well, the code is out there. If there's time to try to get it in, I think it's
worth doing.

Best,
Rafael