Re: [RFC -tip] x86,apic: set cpu_has_apic manually for discreteapic

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 12:15:13 EST

[Cyrill Gorcunov - Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:57:36PM +0400]

| In case of discrete apic (due to hardware or firmware reason)
| cpuid may not retrieve cpu_has_apic bit. But we rely on this
| bit in SMP compiled kernels. So instead of long condition checking
| we set cpu_has_apic bit manually and check it only in further
| code flow.
|
| Note that the case is applied to x86-32 pretty old machines only.
| Also verify_local_APIC is the only place where such a trick
| could be done. We can't do it earlier since there could be
| a BIOS bug and other checks which we are to pass to ensure
| that APIC is functional.
|
| The patch also make lapic_shutdown, disable_IO_APIC callable
| which should take place even on discrete apics.
|
| As a side effect it makes lapic sysfs device available
| for such machines so lets check for apic being integrated
| since we don't support suspend/resume for disrete apics.
|
| Signed-off-by: Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxxx>
| ---

Please drop this RFC now as to eliminate side effects
a number of quirks (MCE,MSI) would be needed. I didn't trigger
problems because not all interrupt types were covered
with qemu. The simpliest (and more safe) approach will
be just to fix lapic_shutdown and disable_IO_APIC for
discrete apic case. Will cook a patch.

-- Cyrill