Re: 2.6.31-rc5 regression: Oops when USB Serial disconnected whilein use

From: Bruno PrÃmont
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 13:06:59 EST

Hi Greg,

Were you able to reproduce this with a FTDI usbserial device?

I just had a short look with 2.6.31-rc6, it crashes harder... once
kernel did panic with general protection fault after reporting
tty_port_close_start: count=-1
The second time id started output of an Oops but only half of the first
line ever showed up on screen (Intel KMS).

Note: this was with just usbserial.ko and ftdi_sio.ko rebuilt with
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y in the hope to find out what did access a bad
pointer. (make CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y drivers/usb/serial/$module.ko)

Will retry now with a fresh compile with CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO enabled for
whole kernel and see if I can get better information, eventually
switching to vesa framebuffer in case the partial output happens again.

This pretty much looks like unbalanced ref-count...

Thanks,
Bruno