Re: new ipdelay= option for faster netboot

From: david
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 22:46:31 EST

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Rick Jones wrote:

David Miller wrote:
I have card/switch combinations that take up to 10 seconds to
negotiate a proper link.

Gotta love it when things adhere to specs...

the default on Cisco switches is to wait 30 seconds before fully enabling the port so that it can listen for spanning tree broadcasts.

for windows systems this doesn't cause any problems (they take long enough to boot), but for a tightly configured linux box it can be fully booted long before the switch decides to enable the port (for that matter, I have a bare-metal install process that takes about 90 seconds from hitting power, from a CD. I could probably speed things up by switching to USB boot media)

David Lang