Re: [patch] x86 CPU detection for RDC

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 14:53:48 EST

On 08/17/2009 11:46 AM, Andi Kleen wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On 08/17/2009 11:08 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>> X86_RDC321X already exists in arch/x86/Kconfig. It should probably
>>> grow a 'depends on PCI' rline or so.
>>>
>> Sounds like it.
>
> iirc the patch used early pci which is actually self contained
> in its header. The main problem was that it didn't use it correctly.

It isn't a matter of if compilation works, it is a matter of if we
should even try to probe PCI if the user has explicitly disabled
CONFIG_PCI. arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cyrix.c disables its PCI probing if
CONFIG_PCI is off, even though it also uses <asm/pci-direct.h>.

Given that the benefit of this CPU detection patch is extremely small
(all it does it get better information in /proc/cpuinfo) and that blind
probing can have disastrous consequences, I would say it should not.

-hpa