Re: [boot crash] Re: [tip:x86/mce3] x86, mce: use 64bit machine checkcode on 32bit

From: Hidetoshi Seto
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 05:09:30 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Hidetoshi Seto <seto.hidetoshi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Could you try boot your laptop with mce=nobootlog?
>
> Hm, why should that make any difference? mce=nobootlog only
> influences whether we pass records into the mcelog buffer but does
> not affect whether we touch the hardware.

Old mce codes doesn't take bootlog.

One possibility is: if the BIOS doesn't clear status in banks,
new mce codes will try to log such junks.
If the junk is totally junk but can be decoded as a valid log with
MISCV or ADDRV bit, and if the cpu try to access register which is
not implemented (e.g. IA32_MCi_MISC/ADDR), then such access might
cause a general protection exception. (ref. ASDM 3A 15.3.2.3)

I'm just guessing...

Thanks,
H.Seto