Re: [BUG] [hwmon] linux 2.6.31-rc6 regression

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 10:40:03 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 07:37:35AM +0200, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 02:03:03AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
The hwmon driver is attempting to allocate a region that's also used by your ACPI firmware. There's no way to synchronise access between the kernel and the firmware, so allowing both is potentially racy - we've seen numerous cases where the combination results in the system incorrectly generating critical temperatuer shutdowns, for instance, when some other indexed access gets interpreted as the temperature or when the hwmon chip's state machine is confused. The failure of hwmon to bind is a feature here, not a bug. You can override it with acpi_enforce_resources=no on the kernel command line.
But we don't introduce »features« that break hardware monitoring on
numerous machines in rc6 normally, IIRC.
If this so important and critical to you, than just add a »hyperstrict«
parameter to acpi_enforce_resources or make »lax« the default.

It's not - 2.6.29 had this behaviour, and it got broken in 2.6.30. This restores the status quo.

Then why did my 2.6.29 did _not_ have this behavior?
(here: ASUS M3A78-EM, it87 driver)
--
Stefan Richter