Re: Linux 2.6.31-rc6

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 09:27:56 EST

On Thursday 13 August 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>Hmm. Lots of small fixes all over, spread out fairly evenly (50% drivers,
>and roughly 10% each in arch, fs, kernel, tools/perf, "rest"). And things
>do seem to be calming down, because outside of some further i915
>displayport patches and a couple of perf-counter patches, almost all of
>them are pretty dang small.

[...]

The Netgear WG311NA (marvel 88somethng) pci cards are still on the missing
list. I was hoping that flurry of patches to libertas would all get in.

Various snippets from a rebuild:

MODPOST vmlinux.o
WARNING: modpost: Found 5 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'

That has been there forever.

drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.c: In function âmwl8k_config_wtâ:
drivers/net/wireless/mwl8k.c:3031: warning: âradio_enabledâ is deprecated
(declared at include/net/mac80211.h:599)

I did see a warning about a type miss-match go by during the build:

drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c: In function âif_spi_c2h_dataâ:
drivers/net/wireless/libertas/if_spi.c:739: warning: format â%luâ expects type
âlong unsigned intâ, but argument 4 has type âunsigned intâ

And later:

net/mac80211/main.c: In function âieee80211_bss_info_change_notifyâ:
net/mac80211/main.c:293: warning: âbeacon_intâ is deprecated (declared at
include/net/mac80211.h:593)
net/mac80211/main.c: In function âieee80211_alloc_hwâ:
net/mac80211/main.c:714: warning: âradio_enabledâ is deprecated (declared at
include/net/mac80211.h:599)

Other than that the build was fairly clean, and I'm running it. But still no
wireless. :(

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Politics are almost as exciting as war, and quite as dangerous. In war,
you can only be killed once.
-- Winston Churchill