Re: [RFC Patch 1/2] kexec: show memory info in /proc/iomem

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 22:14:25 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

We can inspect the image we are going to load to get this information.
In fact /sbin/kexec already inspects the image we are going to load
to get this information. Putting this in the kernel adds kernel
complexity for no gain.
/sbin/kexec is supported to know this, of course. But this is not for
/sbin/kexec, this is for user (or other programs) to observe the memory
information, so that he can know the memory he reserved is too much or not.

Without this, it is a little hard to use patch 2/2.

So add on option to /sbin/kexec.

This can be another choice.
Furthermore none of this does a good job of predicting how much
memory /sbin/fsck will require to check the filesystem before we
write a crash dump.

No one actually knows this without testing... But if 128M on x86 is still not enough, that is probably a bug of fsck, not our fault.