Re: [RFC Patch 1/2] kexec: show memory info in /proc/iomem

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 21:15:39 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

This patch implements showing kexec memory area via /proc/iomem.
For example, with this patch we can see:

# cat /proc/iomem
00100000-7ffeffff : System RAM
01000000-012e1424 : Kernel code
012e1425-015f1aff : Kernel data
0166b000-01b4b88f : Kernel bss
02000000-083fffff : Crash kernel
02000000-028fffff : Used
02900000-083fffff : Unused

So that user can know how much memory the kernel uses for crash kernel.

Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

We can inspect the image we are going to load to get this information.
In fact /sbin/kexec already inspects the image we are going to load
to get this information. Putting this in the kernel adds kernel
complexity for no gain.

/sbin/kexec is supported to know this, of course. But this is not for /sbin/kexec, this is for user (or other programs) to observe the memory information, so that he can know the memory he reserved is too much or not.

Without this, it is a little hard to use patch 2/2.