Re: Help Resource Counters Scale better (v4)

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 11:21:03 EST

Prarit Bhargava <prarit@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On a 64p/32G system running 2.6.31-git2-rc5, with RESOURCE_COUNTERS

This is CONFIG_RESOURCE_COUNTERS off at compile time right?

> off, "time make -j64" results in
>
> real 4m54.972s
> user 90m13.456s
> sys 50m19.711s
>
> On the same system, running 2.6.31-git2-rc5, with RESOURCE_COUNTERS on,
> plus Balbir's "Help Resource Counters Scale Better (v3)" patch, and
> this patch, results in
>
> real 4m18.607s
> user 84m58.943s
> sys 50m52.682s

Hmm, so resource counters on with the patch is faster than
CONFIG_RESOURCE_COUNTERS compiled out in real time? That seems
counterintuitive. At best I would expect the patch to break even, but
not be actually faster.

Is the compilation stable over multiple runs?

Still it looks like the patch is clearly needed.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.