Re: Help Resource Counters Scale Better (v3)

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 01:30:42 EST

* KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2009-08-10 09:32:29]:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:45:30 +0530
> Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the detailed review, here is v3 of the patches against
> > mmotm 6th August. I've documented the TODOs as well. If there are
> > no major objections, I would like this to be included in mmotm
> > for more testing. Any test reports on a large machine would be highly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > From: Balbir Singh <balbir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Changelog v3->v2
> >
> > 1. Added more documentation and comments
> > 2. Made the check in mem_cgroup_set_limit strict
> > 3. Increased tolerance per cpu to 64KB.
> > 4. Still have the WARN_ON(), I've kept it for debugging
> > purposes, may be we should make it a conditional with
> > DEBUG_VM
> >
> Because I'll be absent for a while, I don't give any Reviewed-by or Acked-by, now.
>
> Before leaving, I'd like to write some concerns here.
>
> 1. you use res_counter_read_positive() in force_empty. It seems force_empty can
> go into infinite loop. plz check. (especially when some pages are freed or swapped-in
> in other cpu while force_empry runs.)

OK.. so you want me to use _sum_positive(), will do. In all my testing
using the stress scripts I have, I found no issues with force_empty so
far. But I'll change over.

> 2. In near future, we'll see 256 or 1024 cpus on a system, anyway.
> Assume 1024cpu system, 64k*1024=64M is a tolerance.
> Can't we calculate max-tolerane as following ?
>
> tolerance = min(64k * num_online_cpus(), limit_in_bytes/100);
> tolerance /= num_online_cpus();
> per_cpu_tolerance = min(16k, tolelance);
>
> I think automatic runtine adjusting of tolerance will be finally necessary,
> but above will not be very bad because we can guarantee 1% tolerance.

I agree that automatic tuning will be necessary, but I want to go the
CONFIG_MEM_CGROUP_RES_TOLERANCE approach you suggested earlier, since
num_online_cpus() with CPU hotplug can be a bit of a game play and
with Power Management and CPUs going idle, we really don't want to
count those, etc. For now a simple nr_cpu_ids * tolerance and then
get feedback, since it is a heuristic. Again, limit_in_bytes can
change, may be some of this needs to go into resize_limit and
set_limit paths. Right now, I want to keep it simple and see if
others can see the benefits of this patch. Then add some more
heuristics based on your suggestion.

Do you agree?

--
Balbir