Re: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Sun Aug 09 2009 - 23:10:50 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Let me put this concrete proposal on the table.

The problem:

With the current set of crashkernel= options we are asking the
distribution installer to perform magic. Moving as much of this logic
into a normal init script for better maintenance is desirable.

My proposal:

Implement crashkernel=max which reserves as much memory as is
reasonable for a crash kernel, without seriously affecting stability,
performance, and reliability.

This is almost exactly what I want with crashkernel=auto....
So there's no big difference, except the name.

As an initial approximation I would use a 32nd of low memory.

Hmm, I think Bernhard's proposal is fine for this case, i.e. we can introduce a new syntax, "crashkernel=>>X" which means we reserve 1/2^X of system memory.

What do you think?

In addition implement:

/sys/kernel/crash_size

That can be written to (with enough privileges when no crash kernel is
loaded) reduce the amount of memory reserved by the crash kernel.

Yeah, this is nice!

Thanks.