Re: [Patch 0/7] Implement crashkernel=auto

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 21:37:44 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

This series of patch implements automatically reserved memory for crashkernel,
by introducing a new boot option "crashkernel=auto". This idea is from Neil.

In case of breaking user-space applications, it modifies this boot option after
it decides how much memory should be reserved.

On different arch, the threshold and reserved memory size is different. Please
refer patch 7/7 which contains an update for the documentation.

Note: This patchset was only tested on x86_64 with differernt memory sizes.

This seems like a silly hard code. Especially for a feature distros don't
care enough about to implement a working initrd for.

Has anyone bothered to justify those large amounts of memory?
Where does the 128M go?

If 128M is too big, we can make it to be 64M, that is no problem.
I am very open to this. :)

Please pardon me for being a cynic but I don't see the command line option
being the bottleneck for real users to make this work.

Well, take /me as an example, to be honest, I still have no idea how much memory I should reserve for s390/sh, if I would use kdump on sh, it *is* my bottleneck.

Thanks.