Re: Problems with CONFIG_KVM_GUEST?

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Aug 02 2009 - 11:45:03 EST

On 08/02/2009 06:32 PM, Theodore Tso wrote:
On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 12:38:59PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
(Adding ccs)

On 08/02/2009 12:26 AM, Theodore Tso wrote:
Using the XFS QA regression test suites to test ext4, I reliably get
lock-ups and OOPS's with I run a kernel using KVM with
CONFIG_KVM_GUEST configured. This is with 2.6.31-rc3 and 2.6.31-rc4.

The problems disappear if I turn off CONFIG_KVM_GUEST; the XFS tests
run without problem to completion once I turn this configuration
option off. That's what I'll do for now, but if someone could look
into this, I'd appreciate it.

Is this a PAE mode guest?

Yes, it is. Here's the config (with CONFIG_KVM_GUEST turned off, but
otherwise what I had testing with).

What's the host kernel version?

We had problems with CONFIG_KVM_GUEST and PAE which were resolved in 2.6.30-final but perhaps failed to trickle down to whatever you're using. The upstream commit is a8cd0244 ("KVM: Make paravirt tlb flush also reload the PAE PDPTRs").