Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2.6.31-rc4-rt1

From: Darren Hart
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 20:42:45 EST

Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:48:04AM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

Further plans:

1) We seriously want to tackle the elimination of the PREEMPT_RT
annoyance #1, aka BKL. The Big Kernel Lock is still used in ~330
files all across the kernel. A lot of work has been done already to
push down the lock into the code which still thinks it needs to be
protected by it. Some work has been done already in the (a little
bit stale) kill-the-BKL and core/kill-the-BKL branches of the -tip
git tree. If you want to help, please check those branches whether
the code has been tackled already or not to avoid redundant
work. If you decide to take care of one please note it on:

http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Big_Kernel_Lock

We (I) can't write to this file :)

However, I'll try to attack the remaining bkl that resides in tty...

I took a look at the perms, then the history - looks like you sorted it out.

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center