Re: Bug in kernel 2.6.31, Slow wb_kupdate writeout

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 18:17:34 EST

On Thu, Jul 30 2009, Martin Bligh wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Jens Axboe<jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 28 2009, Chad Talbott wrote:
> >> I run a simple workload on a 4GB machine which dirties a few largish
> >> inodes like so:
> >>
> >> # seq 10 | xargs -P0 -n1 -i\{} dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/dump\{}
> >> bs=1024k count=100
> >>
> >> While the dds are running data is written out at disk speed.  However,
> >> once the dds have run to completion and exited there is ~500MB of
> >> dirty memory left.  Background writeout then takes about 3 more
> >> minutes to clean memory at only ~3.3MB/s.  When I explicitly sync, I
> >> can see that the disk is capable of 40MB/s, which finishes off the
> >> files in ~10s. [1]
> >>
> >> An interesting recent-ish change is "writeback: speed up writeback of
> >> big dirty files."  When I revert the change to __sync_single_inode the
> >> problem appears to go away and background writeout proceeds at disk
> >> speed.  Interestingly, that code is in the git commit [2], but not in
> >> the post to LKML. [3]  This is may not be the fix, but it makes this
> >> test behave better.
> >
> > Can I talk you into trying the per-bdi writeback patchset? I just tried
> > your test on a 16gb machine, and the dd's finish immediately since it
> > wont trip the writeout at that percentage of dirty memory. The 1GB of
> > dirty memory is flushed when it gets too old, 30 seconds later in two
> > chunks of writeout running at disk speed.
>
> How big did you make the dds? It has to be writing more data than
> you have RAM, or it's not going to do anything much interesting ;-)

The test case above on a 4G machine is only generating 1G of dirty data.
I ran the same test case on the 16G, resulting in only background
writeout. The relevant bit here being that the background writeout
finished quickly, writing at disk speed.

I re-ran the same test, but using 300 100MB files instead. While the
dd's are running, we are going at ~80MB/sec (this is disk speed, it's an
x25-m). When the dd's are done, it continues doing 80MB/sec for 10
seconds or so. Then the remainder (about 2G) is written in bursts at
disk speeds, but with some time in between.

--
Jens Axboe