Re: [RFC][patch 00/12] clocksource / timekeeping rework V2

From: john stultz
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 13:14:33 EST

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 12:53 +0200, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:17:16 -0600
> dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 19:09 +0200, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:

> > > True, the clocksource code won't pick the clock any more as long as
> > > there is an alternative clock available. It still shows up in the list
> > > of clocks though and you can do an override with it.
> >
> > I'm not sure allowing that type of override a good idea tho .. I don't
> > think it's considered a usable clock when the rating goes to zero.
>
> Override as the root user -> your foot, no? The whole override stuff is
> there for the case that the clocksource selection picked a broken clock
> and you want to force the system into a semi-working state. Ideally the
> whole override would go away, but that is probably wishful thinking..

Its also not only for when a system is broken, but quite often is used
when the system selects a slower clocksource out of caution and the user
wants to override that decision. The kernel really should get it right,
but there is always the case of an old kernel on new hardware that might
require it.

thanks
-john