Re: Kernel 2.6.30.1 Oops on Alpha Architecture when starting Xserver

From: Michael Cree
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 20:05:51 EST

Dave Airlie wrote:
The kernel oops is:

So its a machine check,

So, does this indicate a software fault (e.g. inconsistencies in kernel data
structures) or does it imply a hardware fault?

Well X is trying to post the graphics card you have installed, and the
machine
is falling over when it does it.

SRM (the equivalent of a BIOS) cannot post the card on startup. But I have
had the card (radeon rv610) post correctly and working in the past when I
compiled the complete 1.5.3 Xserver myself. I had it working with both the
radeon and radeonhd drivers and a 2.6.29.x kernel patched to support
libpciaccess.

There is no -ati card in that machine, its got some SiS card which is
completely
different, maybe its some onboard card or something.

No, you have misunderstood. I removed that Radeon rv610 card (that caused the kernel oops) from the machine and replaced it with an old SiS card I have. The behaviour changed: now the Xserver locks up on initialisation and consumes 100% CPU. The backtrace I provided is with the SiS card only. I thought it might be helpful to locate the problem (assuming that we are seeing a different symptom of the same underlying problem).

BTW, my attempt to CC the xorg mailing list failed. It would seem that they are too exclusive to allow posting to their email list without subscription. Putting up such barriers means they won't get bug reports from such people as myself. Their loss.

Cheers
Michael