Re: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches

From: Niraj kumar
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 10:22:57 EST

> - subtree notification.
>        Currently to only watch /home and all of it's descendants one must
> either register a directed watch on every directory or use a global
> listener.  The global listener with ignored_mask is not as bad as it
> sounds in my testing, but decent subtree registration and notification
> would be a big win in a lot of people's mind.

Unless it's already covered in some way, I would also be interested
in notification based on "process subtree". What this means is that
for whatever notification a particular process requests, it's only
interested in events generated by itself and it's children.
This is useful in doing auditing for file system related access.

-Niraj