Re: Linux 2.6.27.28

From: Thomas Voegtle
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 03:35:20 EST

Hi,

first of all: thank you for the stable kernels...

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Greg KH wrote:
On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:49:53AM +0200, Éric Piel wrote:
Currently, there is no clue on www.kernel.org that 2.6.27 is a "long
term stable" kernel tree. Would it be possible to add a line to the page
pointing to the latest version of this type of tree? I'm sure some
people would love discovering that such thing exists :-)

I'm curious as to why someone, if they were inclined to be using such a
thing, wouldn't already know about this?

It even isn't called at linux-kernel-announce, except the latest stable kernel.
So you have to read LKML, or follow the lwn.net news to track the older stable kernel. Or always guessing: when there is a release of the newer stable kernel (this is announced in linux-kernel-announce) then there might be a release of the older one aswell...

How many people really are relying on this .27 branch, becides the
distros, these days? And if you are, why?

I'm one of that guys, having a server and one firewall and feeling much better with a small optimized own-built kernel for that machines.
And both just work with this .27 branch, why should I change it to 2.6.30.y?
I don't need any of the new features and it won't be faster with 2.6.30 or something else...

Thomas