Re: report a bug about sched_rt

From: Bill Gatliff
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 01:22:52 EST

Jamie Lokier wrote:
For simple things like "try to keep the buffer to my DVD writer full"
(no I don't know how much CPU that requires - it's a kind of "best
effort but try very hard!"), it would be quite useful to have
something like RT-bandwidth which grants a certain percentage of time
as an RT task, and effectively downgrades it to SCHED_OTHER when that
time is exceeded to permit some fairness with the rest of the system.

Useful perhaps, but an application design that explicitly communicates your desires to the scheduler will be more robust, even if it does seem more complex at the outset.

I'm with Peter on this one. My impression of RT-bandwidth is that you shouldn't ever see it doing anything unless your system contains an error. In those situations, it's definitely a handy alternative to rebooting to get your shell back. But I don't think you want to build a system that depends on it, perhaps for no other reason than the fact that if RT-bandwidth doesn't make your system behave itself then you don't have a Plan B anymore.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx