Re: fanotify - overall design before I start sending patches

From: Eric Paris
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 17:02:38 EST

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 13:48 -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
> getting an open fd to the file is good for things like content scanning,
> but for other things like a HSM re-populating the file, you would need to
> pass the path used to open the file at open time. is this in the metadata
> you are passing?

No, I will NOT EVER pass a pathname. Period. End of story. I stated
the if userspace wants to deal with pathnames (and they understand the
system setup well enough to know if pathnames even make sense to them)
they can use readlink(2) on /proc/self/fd

> to avoid race conditions, you may want some way that a listener on a
> directory can flag that it wants to also be a listener for all new
> directories created under the one it is listening on.

Interesting way to get the subtree checking people want, you do the
registration yourself the first time on the entire hierarchy and new
directories will be automagically added. I could probably do that, I'll
have to look.

> with the PERM checks, can a checker respond within the 5 second window
> with 'I need more time'? or does it need to complete all it's work in <5
> seconds?

FAN_RESET_TIMEOUT