Re: Generic events for wake up from S1-S4

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 09:39:18 EST

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, ykzhao wrote:
> > > Well, we *already* deliver "lid opened" when the lid is opened, regardless
> > > of it waking up the computer or not. But we are missing a way to deliver
> > > other classes of wakeup events.
> > >
> > > I know of at least these (incomplete list):
> > >
> > > 1. network-initiated wakeup
> > > a. wired
> > > b. wireless
> > > c. long-range wireless
> > >
> > > 2. platform health/condition alarms
> > > a. battery alarm (two levels, warning and emergency)
> > > b. thermal alarm (two levels, warning and emergency)
> > > (we need these as generic alarms, not just reason-for-wakeup)
> > >
> > > 3. device (or device tree) hotplug/hotunplug
> > > a. hotunplug request or notification
> > > (we deliver the request/notification, but we don't know we should
> > > event)
> > >
> > > 4. management
> > > a. wake-up/power on clock
> > > b. remote management command (IMPI, etc)
> > > c. intrusion alarm
> > > d. theft alarm
> > >
> > > None of those have a standard interface to notify userspace of the reason of
> > > the wake up AFAIK. Many of these want a generic event interface to be
> > > delivered not just as reason-for-wakeup, but also as runtime events.
> > >
> > > And I guess we should also tell userspace what state we are waking up from
> > > (S5 clean state, S5/S4 hibernation, S3), sometimes it matters.
> >
> > Agreed, and same for the above.
> >
> > So, what in your opinion would be the best way to expose this information?

Frankly? It needs to be an easy-to-extend ABI, and the only one that cames
to mind right now are uevents.

> Maybe we should firstly define what event should be delivered to user
> space when it is resumed from S1--S4.

Why not a change uevent (although we could always come up with a new uevent
type for this, and that might be a good idea)?

> And another issue who is in charge of sending the event? By the specific
> device or ACPI notification?

ACPI notifications are hard to extend, I think. Please correct me if I am
wrong.

Henrique Holschuh